3:01 Introduction… where Helen and I met: Olympia Back Pain Show, 2007.
- Seeing the light!
- Ten-Point – triathlon store
- Military (football team)
- Nairobi, East Africa – physio assistant
- Sports Therapist
- Manual Lymphatic Drainage
8:28 MBT adventure
- Opened Ten-Point 2004
- Newtons 2006
- Vibram Fivefingers 2007
- Early Adopter!
10:42. Helen’s early running career
- First woman to run an Ironman in barefoot / minimalist shoes
- Robin Davies – 1stperson / man to run an ironman in barefoot / minimalist shoes
- “The Back Lane”
12:54. Stratford-Upon-Avon Marathon
- Or half…
- Airforce Running
- Selling bikes
- Fitting bikes
15:52. Trigger Points
- It’s all about bringing blood through the area…
- The common denominator is always flow
- The Rule of the Artery
- Unkinking the body – irrigation
22:56. The soleus (calf muscle) is the 2nd heart
24:04. Barefoot running
- The forefoot strike
- Eccentric loading and the Achille’s tendon
- Calcaneus – designed for loading?
- Ground reaction force
- Tendon attachment
31:29. Tendon function and our energetic niche
33:00. Substrate discussion.
- Even with your shoes on (Helen’s book)
- Efficiency rather than right or wrong
- Running off-road is hard – natural surfaces are treacherous
- Protection on “hard ground” and less protection on “soft ground”
- Africa has got wetter over the last 2 million years!
- Spread of the rays and structure of foot is endlessly inspiring
- Giving your feet more credit
- Comfort + Function or…
- Comfort with restriction?
38:40. Helen’s athletic endeavours
- Finding shoes for Cape Wrath
- Sometimes your feet just need protection
- Leveraging effect of a standard shoe into ankle joint
- Force plate treadmill
- Barefoot vs shod… shod = greater forces
45:20. Helen’s right foot as her nemesis and the tale of the African thorn!!
- If you have something in or on your foot that your nervous system wants to avoid… you will!
- Check your feet!
48:56. Running – not landing on heel
- Just done 8th Ironman
- How far have you run?
- 83 miles over 3 days
- 100k in one go
- 400k in 8 days (Cape Wrath coming up)… in the wilderness
- Running fuelled by nuts
- Nose breathing
- Nausea when doing endurance events
- Helen’s Metabolic Type was “Parasympathetic Dominant” = requires higher level of proteins and fats.
- Prediabetic since teens
- <15g of carbs = stays in keto
- Digestion optimized – poopie policeman (see image below)!
- No wipe required!!
- Becoming an accidental carnivore
1:11:26. Barefoot Goddess Trilogy Series
- Kirsty Hawkshaw
- Cadence (just right)
- Apollo Trilogy
Albums available at: barefootaudio.bandcamp.com
To find out more about Helen’s work, or to get your copy of her amazing guide to running for all levels and all ambitions “Even with your shoes on”… head over to her site here.